Friday, August 10, 2012

The Lie

"Although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened...they exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images...the truth of God for a lie."




I read these words this morning.  They slammed me in a way they haven't before, so who am I not to share the moments that God uses to knock me around a bit? :)

This chapter is like the "go to" chapter to slam others for their sins that we don't have...a great chapter for pointing fingers at others, but today, it was sure pointing at me.

I so often become consumed with the tedious emergencies of this life that I fail to see God in it.  I rush through day after day after day and don't stop to glorify God --

- My heart is beating, my lungs are pumping
-  My family is healthy
- The morning air was crisp and cool for the first time in weeks
- I have a husband that loves me and happily provides for us
- There's food in our house
- I adore my children
-  The sunset in this desolate wasteland is stunning
-  I can run
- I can work
-  My dogs love me no matter what
-  I have friends that I know always have my back



The list is really endless.  But I often - very often - fail to see it.  Because I have to cook, or go to work, or teach my kid, or clean my house, or feed my dogs, or run an errand for a friend... oh, wait.  Those were the things I'm thankful for...  How easily I lose my focus.

So instead of glorifying Him,


 I become futile in my thinking. 

The dictionary definition  for "futile" - "incapable of producing any result; ineffective; useless; not successful".  -- NOT what I want.



My foolish heart is darkened.

I exchange the glory of God for some worthless image.

I exchange the truth of  God for a lie.


*******************


God help me, I want more than that.

I don't want futility, I don't want worthless, I don't want the lie.

I want Him - His truth -  His glory.










No comments:

Post a Comment