Sunday, February 10, 2013

It's More Important Than We Think


Our words matter.

The words of the godly are a life-giving fountain; the words of the wicked conceal violent intentions.

They matter at work and at church.

And those who are peacemakers will plant seeds of peace and reap a harvest of righteousness.

They matter at the grocery store and with my husband.

The lips of the godly speak helpful words, but the mouth of the wicked speaks perverse words.

They matter on Facebook and in how I speak to my kids.

Too much talk leads to sin. Be sensible and keep your mouth shut.

They matter on Twitter and when I feel compelled to slander or gossip.

No one can tame the tongue. It is restless and evil, full of deadly poison. Sometimes it praises our Lord and Father, and sometimes it curses those who have been made in the image of God. And so blessing and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth. Surely, my brothers and sisters, this is not right!

They matter. 

I tell you, on the day of judgment you will have to give an account for every careless word you utter.

God places a premium on our words.  We would do well to remember that.

No comments:

Post a Comment